Monday, May 6, 2013

Crafty Fund Raising!!

  As I'm sure you've gathered, I've got a lot of money to raise! And I'm not just sitting around waiting for it to fall in my lap either. In addition to trying to find a seasonal job, I've started making hand-made baby wraps! I use a light weight linen, but I'm also starting to experiment with other fabrics too. They've turned out pretty great! I start with four yards of fabric and then I triple zig-zag stitch each side, to make sure there won't be any fraying and the wrap will hold up under even toddler-sized use. That length of fabric makes two wraps! These are short wraps, good for sling type carries. For a more traditional wrap, which you can use for more holds, I would just use five yards. 
  
These wraps are the best! I love them, I love how you can use them for front carries, side carries and back carries. You can even use them to make baby hammocks, which I'm told is all the rage. I haven't tried it yet though. Also, since there are no buckles or clasps, these wraps have amazing longevity. In fact, they only get better the more they use them, they become softer and easier to use. They wash easy, and there's so many different ways to use them, which, if you have a child like mine, who are so picky about how they are carried, is a life saver. There's no adjusting straps as your child gets bigger, it's just so convenient. I carried my three year old brother on my back with my wrap and I barely felt the weight! It distributes it so evenly, so my shoulders don't get pinched like they do with a lot of other carriers I've tried.

 Here's some examples of carries you can use with these wraps:


I love back carries because they leave your hands free and you have more range of motion with your shoulders when you want to do stuff around the house. 






Side carries are great, because sometimes it's a lot comfier to have your baby on a hip rather than completely over your whole torso.



Tummy to tummy is a great bonding experience and comfy when walking around. If you're just going to be around the house, it's a great way to get skin to skin contact!



The great thing about wraps is you can wear more than one! Whether you have twins, or a toddler and a new born, you can wear them both so comfortably!

There's only one downside I've found so far with these wraps: They're SO expensive! And understandably so! The fabric is expensive! Especially when you get into fabrics like silk, or bamboo or hemp, and they're time consuming to make! But they're so wonderful, they're totally worth it. Most wraps cost around eighty to one hundred and fifty dollars, if you're lucky you can find some for sixty dollars. These are usually WAHM (work at home mom) wraps, like mine. 

I'm asking forty dollars for my short wraps, and fifty dollars for my long ones. If you're interested, please email me! I make custom wraps, you can choose a color, fabric type, and I can even do custom embroidery if you'd like you or your little one's name, or vines, flowers, stars or suns. 

My email is torijosonshinegirl@gmail.com
This is another way I am earning money for my mission trip, so it's all for a great cause! Let me know what kind of wrap you'd like!

Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment